A Tandoori Oven of Sorts

My elder son recently told me he was trying out Tandoori Chicken "like you used to do on the BBQ".  Well I think most folk have tried various methods to simulate the taste one only seems to get from a real clay type Tandoori Oven and I think I tried several on the BBQ so not sure which way had produced "pleasing results".

But in the last 3 years I have tried yet another method based on making a cylinder from those big aluminium BBQ dishes from Woolies of a diameter to fit over a small 10 inch portable BBQ from Woolies you can see in the shelf below in this photo.
That did not work too well so I wrapped that in some fibre glass insulation and applied some more aluminium as an outer case but still not too good as it was too hot at the base.

Then my op-shop had an 11 inch stainless steel colander thing like the one on the left for just $3 so I mounted the whole lot on top of it to give it some heat regulation at the base.  THEN the op-shop had another one so it now acts as the fire box and the oven sits on top with an exact fit.

And to make it look more like clay or Terracotta I applied some dark caulking to it and sort of painted it on and that is how it now stands and works quite well.
 So to start the Heat Beads I also bought a $35 genuine Heat Beads starter chimney reduced to $5 at Woolies when nobody bought any - simply pile a few Heat Beads in, light the firestarters and plonk it on top for 20 minutes.
Once all is red hot the beads are poured into the fire box and I have first inserted a circular bit of aluminium to keep the heat to the outside and also move the beads to the outside.

The oven goes on top and that worked fine but was still fiddly using skewers and still burning the food at the bottom a bit.

Then on a wander through my Prices Plus store I saw this fish BBQ thingo
which pops neatly inside the oven on a slant and allows the meat to be held at a good height for indirect cooking and in fact I simply put on the timer and turn it over every 5 minutes or so.

I find chicken wings are the best to cook and this was my first (and last) try out of Tandoori Pork Ribs.  Woolies often have pre-prepared Buffalo Wings going very cheap which are very nice as is or you can steam off the Buffalo coating and coat with Tandoori.

I think the biggest mistake with Tandoori is to mix too much yogurt with the paste and the ribs above probably are not red enough which would indicate that issue.

Guess what I'm having tonight?


No comments:

Post a Comment